Consumers can take advantage of extra savings this weekend in Mississippi. Certain school-related items can be purchased tax free in Mississippi (July 31-Aug. 1).
While there are obvious savings, not every purchase is a good deal.
Retailers know they will get big crowds, so it is important for consumers to know how to navigate the sales.
Tips for saving the most during tax-free weekends:
- Know the rules- Not all school-related items are tax free, plus there are price thresholds.
Tax Exempt in Mississippi – Clothes and shoes
- Don’t get confused- Some items that are tax exempt versus those that are not can seem tricky. For example, in Mississippi, football jerseys can be purchased tax free, but pads and pants cannot.
- Check for odd items- Scout uniforms are tax free in Mississippi. This is a good buy for those who need them.
- Shop online- Eligible items purchased online are tax exempt. Consumers can even score bigger deals if they use websites that offer cash back or coupon codes.
- Be a savvy shopper- The same rules apply for shopping during tax-free weekend:
- Shop the backpack — see what your child already has. No need to buy something new if it’s not necessary.
- Check sales papers for penny and below $0.99 deals.
- Comparison shop.
- Ask retailers to price match.
- Stick to your child’s list.
- Shop clearance sections.
- Don’t buy it if you don’t need it.
- Buy extra supplies after they go on sale. This is a good way to stock up for next semester and even next year.